Saturday, May 8, 2010

Plant Exchange party

Every year in early May my friend Mary hosts a plant exchange party in her back garden. We have brunch on the lawn, walk about Mary's lovely gardens, catch up with fellow gardeners we haven't seen in awhile (in some cases not since last year's exchange), and then the swapping begins.

Weather is unpredictable at this time of year; in past years we've gathered in drizzle, cloudy skies and cold temperatures, and in one memorable year gale force wind. But today was perfect. Sunny, cool, and not windy (that last one is notable on the high plains in springtime, especially).

Mary put out a lovely spread of goodies, and I got permission to bring my own contribution. This year it was a thermos of vanilla tea and a plate of cherry-chocolate cream scones, still warm from the oven. Those got snatched up in a hurry.

When it was time to divide the loot I, as usual, made out like a bandit. I had taken a bagful of applemint and another of Greek oregano, both of which I have in great abundance. What did I come home with? Lemon balm, which I've done without for far too many years. Lilies of the valley, which I have long wanted to have in my garden. Ten years or more after planting crabapple and peach trees I finally have enough shade to grow the dainty little lilies. Someone contributed tomato plants they grew from seed; I brought home a Roma in a peat pot. (I'm mainly going to stick with heirloom varieties, like I did last year.) I also chose several bulbs of a pink allium that should nicely complement the maroon variety in my front bed.

A very satisfying morning. Now to get out there and get it planted!

No comments:

Post a Comment