Friday, May 7, 2010

Musical visitors

Last night I had a lovely young couple here from the U.K., a husband and wife known collectively as Tinderbox. I got to hear the last half of their accoustic set yesterday evening at Coffee Rules (a coffee bar/wine and beer bar), near the campus. They performed a few covers, but mostly original music. Monique has a beautiful voice and a gift for writing lyrics. Though they played to a small audience, it was an appreciative one.

Then of course, I had the pleasure of getting better acquainted with them over breakfast this morning. They are winding up a two-week tour of Kansas that started in Wichita, then on to Colorado for a few days. Dan commented that Hays was the first city they'd been to where they could actually park their car and walk around to shops and restaurants. They especially enjoyed the Ellis County Historical Museum. That's our Chestnut Street District! It's why I live downtown--almost everything I need is a short walk away. The shops and restaurants have local flavor and high quality.

I think what most excited the couple--and their friends back home--is that they were in a real "Wild West" town. They even thought that downtown Hays retained some of its Wild West look and feel. Hmm...I'll have to think about that one. I thought we were pretty civilized! I haven't seen a single gunfight in the 13 years I've been here.

Monique and Dan left me their latest CD, called State of Play. I know I will enjoy it for a long time to come, and think of our brief visit when I hear it. Dan declared that the next song they write will be "The Life and Times of Baxter Stramel," or something like that. Wouldn't that be a hoot? They took quite a liking to my little buddy.

You never know who you'll meet at the Tea Rose Inn. I feel so priveleged to be in the position I'm in. It hardly feels like a job, hosting interesting people from all over the world and around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment