Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Conferences are calling

In just two days I will leave for Austin, TX to attend the PAII conference. That's the Professional Association of Innkeepers International. As vice president and president-elect of the Kansas Bed & Breakfast Association, I'll be representing the KBBA at my first national (er, international) conference. There will be four full days of information, so my head will be much bigger when I leave for home! I'm very excited about the conference, and about spending some time in Austin.

You see, before I pulled up stakes and moved to Hays to begin a new bed and breakfast, I spent 18 years living in Austin. I was one of those many people who went there to attend the University of Texas and then decided to stay. So, although I won't have a lot of free time while I'm there, I'll have a few evenings to catch up with old friends. Even Baxter gets to make the trip. I'm hoping it will be warm enough for a walk around Town Lake, something I used to enjoy doing with friends.

The TRI won't be shuttered while I'm away. Thanks to a capable and reliable group of helpers, visitors will still come and go, and next weekend's bridal tea will, I'm sure, be a lovely affair.

After Austin, I should have about 1-1/2 days at home to regroup and repack. Then it's off to Abilene, KS for two days and two nights. As KBBA's v.p., I'm in charge of the state innkeepers conference. This year we're having a 1-day "mini conference" in Abilene on Monday, March 15. Anyone who is considering becoming an innkeeper, or who is brand new to the profession will want to be in Abilene on March 14 for the Aspiring Innkeepers Workshop. Both events are very affordable and essential for anyone who's serious about innkeeping! Details and registration forms are at http://www.kbba.com/events.php.

I haven't spent much time in Abilene, but what I've experienced there I like. There's a whole lot packed into that little town. (Check it out at http://www.abilenekansas.org.) Our conference will be held at the Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau, which is in a converted 1920's train depot. It's a fantastic building, and the perfect space for the KBBA conference. The Aspiring Innkeepers Workshop will be hosted by Adrian and Jay Potter at their equally but differently fabulous Abilene's Victorian Inn (http://abilenesvictorianinn.com)

These days of preparations are rather stressful, but I know that when the conferences are over I will return to the TRI refreshed, rejuvenated, and rededicated to taking care of my guests in the best ways I can. What could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment