Wednesday, August 17, 2011

TRI Enhancements Are Underway!

It's been a hectic and hot summer, which is why I've been absent from the blog for so long! In between meeting the usual, varied array of guests from around the world and around the corner, I've been busy working on "freshening up" the Tea Rose Inn.

Look for new photos soon of redecorated rooms and some changes to the exterior, too. Despite weeks of 100+ degree temperatures, we've managed to revamp the front and side flower beds. There's some new porch furniture, and to better enjoy it, new shades on the front porch. On calm days they make the porch-sitting experience much more pleasant in the summer sun, and give a little privacy from the street. Now if I can just come up with a way to make them behave when that western Kansas wind comes up... Tomorrow I will attempt Plan C. I don't give up easily.

In making changes to the guest rooms and the common areas, I'm trying to keep what works (comfortable beds, high quality bedding, our famous "breakfast experience," for example) while changing with the times in other ways. Currently three of the four guest rooms have televisions, and the Peacock Room will soon be getting one. Twelve years ago, when the TRI was new, B&Bers emphatically did not want t.v.s in their rooms, but that has changed. With more people travelling with their laptops, the Rose Room now has a desk, and the Garden Room will be getting one -- as soon I finish refinishing it!

The Tea Rose Inn's large foyer has a brand new rug and will soon include a work area for guests. I've also set up a little area with a wingback chair and ottomon for solitary reading, or for visitors to wait.

And always, always, I'm exploring new recipes. I still serve all the old favorites, like walnut cream scones and quiche puffs, but I have to try new things too. Luckily, most inn-goers are adventuresome when it comes to food. I do value my "testers!"

If you haven't been here for more than a couple months, you'll want to come experience the changes. As an inticement, let me just mention that today I picked the first peaches of the season. If you've ever eaten a peach from the TRI tree, you know they're worth a trip to Hays! Hope to see you here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment